DIY - Sewing Preparation for a 70's Babydoll

I haven't done DIY instructions on my blog in a long time. Mainly because my projects right now are all sewing projects. I am not ready to write instructions for a whole sewing project yet. But I have to start somewhere. So I will give you a tutorial on the prep work for my next sewing project, which is a Vintage Babydoll.

I found the pattern at the Topanga Vintage Market. If you buy Vintage Patterns make sure that all the pieces are there and that they are in good condition. My pattern was untouched and sealed. I took my measurements and compared the to the pattern to make sure that it would fit. Be aware that most vintage patterns are 'one size' only, where as newer patters normally contain multiple sizes.





After choosing your pattern you need to choose a fabric. I went for a light seersucker fabric for the skirt and the sleeves and a cute white summer fabric for the top part.



With the seersucker fabric being on sale and my 50% off coupon from Joann's I paid about $15 for my material. Remember to buy matching thread and additional material noted on the pattern, such as lining, interfacing, etc. I am using white thread, which I still have from another project and I did not need any additional material.


Before you cut out your pattern you should wash, dry, and iron your fabric to avoid shrinkage after sewing all the pieces together.

The next thing is cutting out the pattern and pressing it. After that pin it to your fabric. Make sure you are aligning everything right. I chose a fabric with a one way design so I had to ensure that all pieces were laid out the same way so that I get a nice result when piecing the parts together.

After that you can start cutting your pieces. Once you are done cutting all your prep work is done and you can start the sewing.

I hope this was a help for all beginners like me. I will try and do more sewing tutorials to show my progress with sewing and my projects.



No comments:

Post a Comment