Mark Ryden

First of all, I sincerely apologize to all of you for not posting any DIY's lately. I promise there is something coming, but you will have to wait only a little longer.

Right now my life is really busy, which I enjoy. My internship is going great and I try to explore and experience as much as I can before I go back to Germany in July. One of those experiences happened last Thursday and I will cherish it in my heart forever. But let me start from the beginning. About 10 years ago I discovered the artist Mark Ryden, and the first thing I saw of him was Rose.
She touched me. I still don't know exactly why. My taste in art is very diverse but this kind of surrealism was strange and beautiful to me at the same time. Ever since I saw Rose from his Blood exhibition I followed his art. In 2006 he released the Tree show. Another beautiful and fragile collection, so different from Blood, but not less touching and inspiring.

71 Maple Tree Nymph
I promised myself if I ever had the chance to see his art in real life or meet him I would not hesitate.
So then last Thursday the day was there. The TASCHEN Book Store at the Grove hosted a book signing event for Mark Ryden's Pinxit. The store is located right under the Farmers Market's clock tower. I must admit within the busy market and all the shopping going on the Taschen Books Store is a tiny oasis of peace, sophistication, and fun, always worth a visit.



I bought the book and got in line. Once I got to the door, I was handed a light pink rose. The girl who handed it to me said: "Mark wanted the first 100 ladies to have a rose." What a delightful idea. Walking into the tint Taschen Book store we were met by an aura of a dark carnival. We were greeted with a signature Pinxit drink, especially created for this event. Then we were able to write down on a post-it note, what we would like to have signed in our book...

And then I met him, I handed him my book and he signed it "To Laura", we exchanged smiles and moved on. No matter how fast it went, I appreciate the thought and work put into this event. And I still cannot believe that I have this wonderful collection of his art work sitting on my shelf now, signed, and waiting to go back to Germany with me.


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was a fun event! I will make sure and check out your giveaway, I love JewelMint!

      Delete
  2. So cool. Sounds like a lot of fun.

    <3 Melissa
    wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Mark Ryden! He's a local, lives in Eagle Rock. Have you been Wacko bookstore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Isn't that fun? I love Wacko, such an awesome place and a great go-to for gifts!

      Delete